Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Journey Overview 5/7

In just four hours I start my trip cross country, with DC as the eventual endpoint. This is a trip I planned to do after graduating high school and a few times in college, but for one reason or another it never happened. With my last final just 4 hours behind me and my brother's graduation from Georgetown 10 days away, this seemed like the perfect time to finally make the drive.

I like to think I started my journey over the past week. I did some things that were uniquely LA, like going to the Dodgers game and seeing them pull it out with a game winning hit in the bottom of the 9th with two out; going to a bar Saturday night that was on the top of a building with a vew of all of LA; and of course there was the In-N-Out I had for lunch today. Tomorrow the trip continues to what I have long only known as "the fly over states."

My current count has the trip hitting 15 states, 3 MLB games, 2 memorial museums (OK City and the Civil Rights), 2 museums tracing a man's life and his accomplishments (the C
linton Library and the Colonel's KFC Museum), 1 distillery, 1 graduation, and much more.

I don't know how often I will actually get to update this, but I hope if not daily, at least every other day, so please be sure to check in. I also promise to include photos that will make this first post seem rather dull.

Anyway, I have to get to bed if I hope to be able to make the first stretch of the trip tomorrow. I'll be in my car much of the trip, so feel free to call.

By the way, I filled up today for $3.48/gallon. Let's see how it changes as I get deeper inland.

7 comments:

Angela said...

Don't forget to take pictures of food!!

ben said...

take care of my car!! she may not be much but she's all i've got!

Unknown said...

Sound like a great adventure. Be safe.

Unknown said...

Have fun and drive safe!

Hotsauce said...

Howard: don't listen to Ben... there are some great off-roading trails in Utah that would be perfect for his car...plus, engines these days can go like hundreds of miles without oil so no worries if you rupture the oil - go for it!!!

Unknown said...

Have a great trip!

gail said...

Howard,
This is your mother speaking! Be safe, Be careful, Don't talk to strangers. Stop every 2 hours to walk around. Call home everyday to let us know that you are safe and sound.

But ENJOY the trip - remember when we went to some of these places when you were 5 years old?