Sunday, May 13, 2007

Day 6 - 5/13/07 (Memphis, Holly Springs, MS, Lynchburg, TN)
Since it was Sunday, most places in Memphis opened later than they normally would. I used this time to follow through on a friend’s recommendation to go to “Graceland Too.” Graceland Too is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I actually wanted to go at 2am, just because I could, but I just didn’t have the energy. Graceland Too is a person’s house in Holly Springs, MS (about an hour southeast of Memphis). This guy has collected thousands upon thousands of Elvis memorabilia and has over filled his house with it. He then opened his house up to tourists and gives the tours himself. This guy spoke with such a deep voice, trying to impersonate Elvis, that it sounded like he had something in his throat It was so bad that I felt I had to clear my throat just to help him out, which I found my self constantly doing without even knowing it. This guy was definitely sketchy. His son is named Elvis Presley and he must have told me 20 times that his son looks like a twin to the real Elvis. Another good story he told was that after 30 years of marriage his wife told him that she was tired and he need to decide if he wanted to be married to her or to his Elvis connection. They are now divorced. If you have the time, I definitely recommend going for the pure shock and outrageous factors. It was well worth it. I would recommend not going alone though. I knew I was safe because I knew hundreds of thousands of other people have passed through the house safely before me, but I still thought it was within reason that at some point he would opened a door and the remains of the body of his last guest would be there staring at me.

After Graceland Too, I went back to Memphis and went to the real Graceland. It was interesting. Not so educational or crazy or anything, but pretty cool. The house is smaller than I thought it would be. I was picturing a huge mansion. Don't get me wrong, this house was big, but not masion-esque. It was funny to see all the different room decors Elvis had set up. I especially liked the TV room in the basement that had a bar, large couch area, and three TVs for viewing of different shows. Of course, everything was in the original 70’s design as Elvis left it, making it more of a period piece than anything else. Upon leaving Graceland I saw a huge accident right in front of the driveway, undoubtedly caused by some passersby who were gawking at the house instead of paying attention to the road.
I ended the Memphis portion of my day at the National Civil Rights Museum which is at the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King was assassinated. The exterior of the
Motel is kept exactly as it was when King was killed. The museum portion is in a new building attached to the motel. I thought it was really well done. The museum takes you through all different times in the Civil Rights movement dating back to the early 1600s. It was easy to go through, and the exhibits were great and there were many life size replicas of buses, counter sit-ins, and much more. Without realizing it, the museum spins you through the new building and ends in the actual Motel, looking out the window of MLK’s room, looking right at the walkway where he was shot. Again, a definite must do.

Now I am in Shelbyville, TN, right outside of Lynchburg, TN. For those of you that don’t know, Lynchburg is home of Jack Daniels and first thing in the morning I will be driving there for a tour of the distillery. Jealous?!

Fast Facts:

Today's Mileage: 375
Total Mileage: 2,783

Today's Gas Price: $2.87

No comments: