Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day 3 - 5/10/07 (Glenwood Springs, Eagle, and Denver)
Today has been quite a day, so please bear with me cause this is going to be kind of long, but worth it. I headed out of Glenwood Springs first thing to Denver, opting not to do the hot spring dip before leaving (the hot springs were piped from the mountains to a huge swimming pool...just didn't seem the same to me). On my way to Denver though, there was one stop I HAD to make...Eagle, CO. For those of you that don't recognize that name, that is where Kobe Bryant was accused of rape four years ago (actually, he was accused in the city of Edwards, but it was Eagle County and the trial was in the city of Eagle...if you want to get technical).

So I got off the highway at the Eagle sign and was immediately struck by how tranquil the city was. I had the windows open as I pulled off the freeway and started driving around and all I heard was silence, despite the stores
and other cars around. I can't imagine how the city got turned around when the hoards of media came to town.

I quickly found the Civic Center and the courthouse and had to get out and take some pictures. Now, I know what some of you are probably thinking, but the fact of the matter is the case was dropped and I never thought the evidence (from what was disclosed in the news) was really that damning anyway. Rape is obviously a serious thing and I don't mean to mock it in anyway, as is Kobe's infidelity. The case was dropped though and Kobe's cheating ways are a family matter. The part where I, as a fan, get involved is when these types of escapades begin affecting the Lakers.

One could make the argument that while the Lakers faced inner-turmoil before, the distractions and daily scrutiny that resulted from this case is what finally pushed the Lakers over the edge. The team had a mediocre regular season (considering this was the year of their "dream team"), and although they rebounded to make it to the finals, they lost embarrassingly 4-1 (and I lost $1,000...teaching me never to bet on my teams). With all this in mind, I felt I had to go to Eagle and show some support for the Lakers in a town that turned so many against them...plus I knew it would make a great picture for the blog...which is really all that matters, right?From there I traveled through the Rockies where snow still covered the mountains and then descended into Boulder and Colorado University. It was a beautiful campus and this week is graduation. So the place was full with students, family, and friends. I love walking on college campuses. There's a great atmosphere that all campuses seem to share. Walking past the dorms there were students playing frisbee and sun bathing. The frisbee players had water bottles that, after seeing them take a swig or two, I quickly realized wasn't water. Next, I went to the student store and almost bought a shot glass to add to my collection before realizing that, believe it or not, I actually have CU shot glass already. So I went and got lunch and walked to the School of Architecture where they were having a graduation. I sat on the grass and watched it as I ate. Then I made my way to the football field and peaked in on them preparing for the school-wide graduation tomorrow. At this point, an hour had passed and I realized I had parked illegally, thinking I would only be on campus for a minute or two. I raced back to the car to find no ticket. At UCLA I would have had a ticket in minutes...I guess while campuses have similar feelings, they aren't all the same.

Now I'm in Denver, where the weather is beautiful! I went to the mint, only to find it closed...but again...at least I got a picture. Then to the Denver Art Museum. I got there about 30 minutes before it closed.
The lady suggested I come back tomorrow, but after explaining that I was only in town for the night, she let me in for free. As you might have guessed, 30 minutes was more than enough for me. I walked through, saw the pictures, some weird sculptures and then I was out.
The next stop was to the Rockies/Giants game at Coors Field. I went with my friend Sarah who lives in Denver. She has a friend from high school who is the UCLA Girls Lacrosse coach and they were in town for a tournament, so all 40 or so went to the game together. Since the tickets were bought as a group, the team was listed on the scoreboard welcoming them. When this happened the students and some parents who accompanied them broke out into UCLA's 8-Clap. Who would have guessed that while on my solo cross country trip, I would end up at a Rockies game in Denver doing the 8-Clap?! It was awesome, as was the stadium. The game was good too. The Rockies won 5-3. Bonds did not homer. Afterwards Sarah, some of her friends who went to the game with us, and me went out for some drinks. Sarah was a great host and I thank her very much.

That's the end of a long day. Tomorrow I am on the road almost the whole day. Should be...long...

Fast Facts:

Today's Mileage: 224
Total Mileage: 1,222

Today's Gas Price: $3.28

6 comments:

ben said...

no mileage updates? did my car roll over 100,000 yet? it must have by now.

Jordan said...

that's a nice tan you have, howard.

*cough*kobe's guilty*cough*

Unknown said...

The picture of you in front of the Eagle Courthouse is amazing. Please tell me you got heckled.

Rebecca said...

This kind of fan behavior is criminal.

Adam said...

(That was Adam on his wife's account.)

Trent Blizzard said...

I live in Glenwood Springs - it is funny how big a deal that Kobe trial was locally. It brought a lot of money into the local economy with all the reporters and tourists. YET... as locals, we really didn't want to talk about it.

Even years later, folks like you are stopping, checking it out and talking about it.

Hope you hit the Glenwood Hot Springs Pool while in Glenwood... and I am glad Kobe didn't stop by the pool and receive any concierge services.