Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Day 9 - 5/16/07 (Savannah, GA)

Today I finally hit the eastern part of the country, Savannah, GA. I got here at about noon and quickly jumped on a trolley tour. I didn't know if I would enjoy it or not, but thought it was the best way to see the town and then I could decide what I wanted to do from there. It was definitely interesting and I saw a lot of historic buildings, etc...but I'll be honest; I dozed off from time to time. It was just such a nice day and I had just been driving for 4 hours or so...and I as I sit on the trolley with my arm hanging over the side and my head in the sun I started nodding off. I'm sure it was nice though, really.

When it ended I went down to the river and got some fish at a restaurant with a great view of the river. I also drank a local beer called Savannah Fest. As most of you know, beer is not something I enjoy, but just thought it fit with my meal and the surroundings.

Tonight I went to the Savannah Sand Gnats minor leag
ue baseball game against the Columbus Catfish. I had never been to a minor league game before so I was pretty excited about the experience. There were about two or three hundred people there. They have different gimmicks each night to get people there. Tonight was "business women" night; if you have a business card, and are a female, you got in for free. I don't know how well it worked though, as I didn't see any groups of women there. Mostly the crowd was made up of one t-ball team, a few couples, some father and sons, and some people I think just went to have something to do. There's a small bar in the bleachers with a patio deck looking over the field that was pretty cool. The biggest cheer of the night came in between innings when two kids were racing around the bases and the one in the lead fell perfectly on his face right before home plate, like in a bad movie, and lost. The best Gnats shirts I saw people wearing in the crowd were these two that each had the gnat logo and either "I'm buzzed" or "Bite Me." I ended up leaving the game after 5 innings. The Gnats were down 3-0. They ended up losing 5-2 and dropped to a league worse 10-29. Oh those Gnats...

After the game I went to a few bars in the historic district and River Street to see what the local scene had to offer and to
watch some basketball. The highlight of the evening was when my fish and chips dinner was delivered and saw that the chips portion of the meal were essentially Mojos!!! Mojos potatoes made a certain way and are only made properly at Shakey's Pizza Parlor, a pizzeria mainly in CA...but also in 3 other states, including Georgia.

What did I do with the rest of my day? I tried to figure out how I am going to get home all the stuff I bought at the distilleries! I fly to DC tomorrow, meaning I just can't throw everything in the back seat of the car anymore. I brought two of the bigger items to the UPS store and had it boxed. I was going to ship it but decided to try and carry it with me on the plane, despite its awkward shape and size. I want to bring everything with me versus shipping it, not because I am cheap and didn't want to pay to have it shipped (ok, maybe that's part of it), but rather because I am just like a big kid and want to be able to play with my new toys as soon as I get home, not wait for it to be shipped by ground. After over an hour of creative packing, I was able to fit everything, but my bag is way overweight. I'm hoping they'll let it go. It's not like the good old days when I would put all the heavy stuff in my carry on, knowing that the carry on didn't have a weight restriction. Now I can't take the heavy bottles of alcohol I bought out of my checked bag and into my carry on. Being able to bring your own alcohol on the plane...those were the days, huh?

Fast Facts:

Today's Mileage: 217
Total Mileage: 3,726

Today's Gas Price: $2.89

1 comment:

M said...

dude! thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog! i've made the trip numerous times and to be honest - you definitely saw america far different than i saw it! where i saw gas stations, truckers, and saige brush; you saw 'scavengers of all things elvis', a gnat's home game, sites of prohibition entreprenuers, and the birth spot of the extra crispy recipe! thanks for opening up a little piece of americana for us! have a great trip back! thx again ~ evan